Sunday, July 21, 2013

Slowing Down For Slow Stitching Sunday

It just doesn't seem possible that the days can pass me by so quickly.  I do seem to get a little quilting and stitching done, but then rarely have time to visit with you about it.  Lately my time has been occupied with my project for the HO HO HO Blog Hop to premiere later this month and preparing all of the wonderful vegetable gifts from my students.  We have been receiving a wide array of vegetables including tomatoes, cucumbers, green beans, onions, potatoes and corn from one student and it is organic because they have bee hives, and from two other students zucchini and yellow squash.  We are blessed to have such generous people in our lives.  I put in an extra effort with these culinary gems to make them extra tasty (without making them unhealthy with such things as bacon etc.) as I used to do.  Tomorrow I will be making Zucchini Fries.  In case you would like to try them here is the recipe:
Zucchini Fries

3 medium sized zucchini 
1 1/2 cups crushed potato chips. rice cereal like rice krispies, very fine bread crumbs or tortilla chips, 
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 450 degrees spray cooking sheet with cooking spray
Cut zucchini into "french fries"
Mix together the chips, salt and garlic powder set aside
In another bowl whisk the eggs and coat the "fries" with the egg and then dip into the chip coating and place on the baking sheet.
Spray fries with the cooking oil spray and bake about 15 to 20 minutes .  They are done when they are crispy.  

I have been following a great BOM by Val Laird ( I say following because it started 7 months ago) called "Apples of Gold", you can find it here.
I had prepared Block 2 a couple of weeks ago to have something to work on while hubby is driving us to various destinations.
Since I knew that this would soon be completed, this last Friday I decided to prepare the other 6 blocks so they would be ready to go.  I don't know why I procrastinate to prepare these as it only took about 30 minutes.  But now I am on track so maybe I can get caught up.
Block 1 is applique with just a touch of embroidery.
Block 3 is all embroidery 
As is Block 4
And Block 5
Also all embroidery is Block 6
And Block 7 is applique with a little embroidery.
There is also a pieced block each month but I will get to them after I catch up on the embroidery. 
Since I am slow stitching today I am linking up with Kathy's Quilts, find her here
Well, my friends, that's about all I've been up to, well there are lots of other things I'm working on but will be writing about them when they are in better order.  Although I am excited about my hand dyed and hand painted sky for my cancer quilt.  A very talented lady and I have been corresponding for about 8 months now and I believe she will start on it shortly.  I can hardly wait to see it.  And THEN I will be able to coordinate my other fabrics to it and get a lot more done on my cancer quilt.  When I have the sky in hand which is the last piece to my puzzle, so to speak I plan to set myself a finish date goal to keep me on track.  Looking forward to following this journey.  Hope you have a Slow Stitching Sunday too.

6 comments:

  1. Looks like you are doing a great job of getting caught up with the embroidery blocks. They will look great mixed in with a bit of pieced work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the lite print you are stitching on - just a lovely touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful project with inspiring words of wisdom to meditate on while stitching. Thanks for linking up and sharing this project with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks an interesting BOM and the fabric you are using for the background is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job getting the hard part out of the way - the prep work. Enjoy your stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that is a lot of stitching you have been up to! Your embroidery is sew neatly done. Looking forward to seeing it in the finished project, Sherry!

    ReplyDelete