Friday, January 18, 2013

Before They Melt Away

I LOVE snowmen, each year they come out for Christmas but linger through January before they are tucked away for another year to make way for some bright  red Valentine's Day quilts.  My snowmen adorn my shelves and snowman quilts warm my walls, quilt racks and chairs.

One year I made a Pearl Louise Block of the Month through Cotton Patch Quilt Shoppe in Michigan called "Hot Chocolate Gang".  In each block the snow people have a cup of hot chocolate in their hand.

Another year the quilt was made from The Rabbit Factory Pattern  "Under The Stars."  I chose to put my own twist on this one by making the 3" patches of the Snowmen's quilt "rag".  I just thought it would be cute for them to be sleeping under a rag quilt.  To do so I added 1/2" to my blocks and made my "rag" seam allowances 1/2" when sewing the blocks together.  There had to be a special adjustment to the half square triangles but that will be another post as today hubby and I are striking out for a road trip to find some new thrift stores and flea markets.  I will share if I come across any wonderful finds.
Hope you have a great day and don't forget to enjoy your journey.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for inspiration. My goal this year is to sew more consistently. Reading your blog helps me get motivated. Hope you had successs on your road trip.
    Sue McGarry

    ReplyDelete