Monday, January 28, 2013

Triangle Tango: A Free Pattern

Since I had given tutorials on Half Square Triangle and Square in a Square I thought it would be fun to put them together into a quick table topper/wall quilt for you to try out the tutorials.
First we will construct the center.
Cut 8 color A squares and 8 Color B squares and following the tutorial for Perfect Half Square Triangles, make 16 HST's.
After trimming, your HST's should measure a perfect 3 1/2". 
Arrange the HST's as pictured above.
Now sew them into rows.
And  then sew two rows together, then the other two rows and join the center seam.  Press well.  I made sure I pressed each row alternately so my seams would be nestled together nicely.
Set this aside and make the Square in a Square units.

You will need 16  4 1/2" squares and 64  2 1/2" squares.  Follow the tutorial for making Square in a Square blocks.
Sew two rows of 3 Square in a Square units and 2 rows of 5 Square in a Square units.  I chose to press the seams open to reduce bulk on these units since I would not be nestling seams.

Sew the 3 block rows to the top and bottom and the 5 block rows to the sides.  I am not a pinner and if the individual blocks are square they should sew together without cutting off points, but if you are unsure, pin where the half square triangle are and have your Square in a Square on top.  If you sew about one or two threads to the right of the top of the Square in a Square blocks, the points should come out perfect.
The piece measures 20 1/2" and will finish 20"  feel free to add more borders if you wish.  For me this will serve a dual role as a table topper and hot mat .  My ever practical hubby made a comment as we were getting ready to serve Christmas dinner that we only had small hot pads and we needed one large one instead of three small once to cover the table to hold a hot casserole or the liner pan from the roaster.  So this piece will have Insul Bright and Warm and Natural for batting and will be a table topper until it is pressed into service as a jumbo hot pad.
If you make the pattern leave me a comment and tell me how you got along.  Hope you enjoy the pattern.  Have a great day!

1 comment:


  1. Good . I learn unique articles here. I really appreciate your job. keep updating your site. You are great and you made very lovely site.
    Click Here : used-bakhoe-cat-420e-0phc00843 for sale

    ReplyDelete