Thursday, January 3, 2013

Collecting and Organizing Fabrics for my Cancer Quilt

In my first post I spoke of my cancer quilt as being one of the reasons for this blog.  A way for me to document my progress with the quilt.  I am a person who likes to have all of my ducks in a row and plan numerous things in my head before venturing forth with the project.  Such has been my cancer quilt.  The image has been developing in my head over the past two years.  After the image was put on paper..thanks again Vicky.....I have been collecting the fabrics for the various elements of the project.  I determined early on that it would require numerous values of color and texture would be of the upmost importance.
-I created a note book with a scaled down color diagram of my completed quilt in the front and then placed auditioned fabric in page protectors with the designated use of each fabric written on a piece of paper and placed in the protector with the fabric.  Every time I visit a quilt shop the notebook has been in my van to browse through before entering the shop or in some cases it has been retrieved to check color values with fabrics already purchased.  You may ask why I did not just take swatches of the fabric instead of the entire yardage.  Well, actually some of the pieces are several years old and yardage amounts fairly small so I feared removing a chunk might run me short and in some cases the scale of the particular fabric was large and I did not wish to cut away such a large amount.  I am happy with the variety of fabric I now have at my disposal except for the sky and flesh color for face and hands.
Along with fabrics I have also collected numerous books on varying subjects pertaining to the project I am about to embark on so.  The sky and flesh fabrics may have to be created by me.  We will see how that goes in the days and weeks ahead.
Have a great day everyone....life is a journey!!! ENJOY

No comments:

Post a Comment